So Hectic Nine-9 is looking for new presenters and so is SABC3. If you plan to go to one or both of these, remember the points below. I have been to a few auditions myself and this is what I have taken away from them.
Presenter searches are scary things to attend… But there ARE ways you can prepare yourself for them if you are serious about wanting to put yourself on the line.
1) Prepare yourself to deliver a link. A link is no longer than 15 seconds. It needs to be delivered slowly and in an engaging way that shows your personality – do not try be too serious or contrived – they want to see YOU.
2) Know that by coming you are already past 50% of the way. Most people quit before they even try.
3) The hard truth about television is that when a show is looking for presenters they have already formulated in their minds the ‘type’ of character they want to see on the show. So if you don’t make it through, please don’t feel disheartened – this was just not the opportunity for you. Soon you will go to an audition where they will be looking for someone JUST like you.
4) Create an impression. This can be through your words, your link, your dress, the way you interact with the staff or whatever. Make sure the team remember you and can’t help but smile when they think of your audition.
5) Remember to not be arrogant. It’s your personality that sells on TV, nothing more, nothing less.
6) One of the best tricks I learned from all the auditions I have been to is to actually do your link in front of friends or family that will make you feel uncomfortable. This is good practise for when that camera is rolling and the adrenaline pumps. If you can get it seamlessly with your friends, the camera will be a breeze.
7) Sit before your audition and put yourself in a place where the company tells you that you DO NOT have the job. Feel what it feels like to do your best and be rejected. If you can mentally prepare yourself for that, you have nothing to lose by going to the audition.
8) BE YOURSELF. I keep repeating this, but TV is all about personality. The show doesn’t want a repeat of anyone. So if you are a complete nerd, be that. If you are sexy and sassy, be that. It’s all about how DIFFERENT you are.
9) Remember that you are amazing and capable and awesome… Out of over a thousand, there can only be 1 for this job. Be brave and take it on